Joyee Mahanta and her partner Priyangi Borthakur are home chef’s who run their Assamese kitchen in Lokhandwala, Andheri West.
For most of us staying in Mumbai, getting our hands on authentic Assamese cuisine is a far fetched dream. My little knowledge of this cuisine got me all excited to try out some home cooked food and I kid you not, this is the best food I have had in a long time. Since I stay away from my parents in this fast paced city, cooking at home and working side by side becomes a challenging task for me and in a situation like this, O’ Tenga is a blessing even if you don’t know the traditional food too well. the way these women have made the whole experience so personal and comforting is beyond words, they help you pick the dishes, follow up on your delivery and make sure the food reaches to you withing said time and in proper way. You need to eat it to say anything about it because there is no one I know who has not liked the food from O’Tenga.
List of dishes we ordered from O’Tenga are:-
- Omita Khar – A traditional Assamese dish made with raw papaya and the alkaline liquid strained from burnt banana peels
- Paleng Xaak Bhaji – Fresh spinach leaves sautéed with light seasoning
- Ou-Tenga Mosur Dail – The humble red lentils and the tangy elephant apple come together to create this unique dish
- Black Sesame Chicken – The mineral-rich sesame and protein-rich chicken come together to create this nutritious and nutty delicacy
- Lau Bilahi Tenga – Fish – Simple and traditional tangy fish curry prepared with bottle gourd and tomatoes
- Pork Chilli Fry – The smoky and spicy Bhut Jolokia fortifies this hearty and savory pork preparation
- Pura Bilahi Alu Pitika – Fire-grilled tomatoes mashed with potatoes
- Akhoi Cream Gur – A fuss-free and humble dessert comprising puffed rice, mixed with a dollop of fresh cream and jaggery sourced from Assam.
Every dish is prepared with fresh ingredients and love. The quantity and quality both are upto the mark and won’t disappoint you. If you are new to the cuisine like me then ask the owners to help and they both will make sure you get the best.
There is a fair possibility that your stomach may get full but your heart won’t. If you are someone who likes trying new cuisines or hails from the land of naga chilies and beautiful waterfalls and happy people then pick up your phone, place your order and try this oh-so-awesome food.
PS- People who are vegetarians, don’t think there is nothing for you, they have whole lot of options for both meat and veggie eaters. And please try their Bengena Pitika Konir Logot and Pork Chili Fry, and thank me later.
You can find them at-